In recognition of its work, the Larsen & Toubro ( L&T), a manufacturing and construction conglomerate has been given the ‘green channel status’ by the Indian Ministry of Defence, meaning it allows a waiver of pre-dispatch inspection of supplies and an automatic acceptance of stores from the company.
The ‘green channel status’ will apply for major Naval weapon delivery systems, ordered by the Ministry of Defence and cements the status of the L&T defence as long term supplier. The company is into engineering, procurement and construction projects, manufacturing, defence and services conglomerate.
L&T Defence was accorded the status after stringent audits of its production facilities, quality systems, and products, carried out by the Director General Quality Assurance.
The Green Channel Policy was introduced in March 2017 by the MoD, as part of the ‘Make in India’ initiative. L&T holds the distinction of being the first private sector defence company to be granted this status for delivery of major systems.
Long work in Naval systems
Known as the maker of the outer hull of the Indian nuclear submarine Arihant and its class of vessels, it also one of the two shortlisted Indian companies for the deal to make six new submarines in collaboration with a foreign partner for what is called the Project 75 India.
One of the most visible projects of the L&T is the indigenously designed and constructed floating dock for the Indian Navy. The unique ship can service and repair ships upto 8000 tonnes while remaining at sea. Read about the floating dock here
The L&T is also executing the following Defence shipbuilding projects:
- Design and construction of 54 high-speed Interceptor Boats for the Indian Coast Guard, deliveries completed
- Design and construction of 7 Offshore Patrol Vessels for Indian Coast Guard
- Marine Engineering: Steering Gear, Stabilisers, Propulsion shafting for Ships and submarines, special heat exchangers, Thrust Blocks, Special Seals, Stern Gear sub-systems, Line shaft Bearings
- Weapon Launch Systems: Torpedo Launching systems, Rocket Launchers, Anti-Submarine Rocket Launchers, BrahMos inclined and Vertical Missile launchers. Dhanush weapon system, Fire Control Systems for these launch systems.
- Sensor Systems. Revathi Radar stabilised platforms, Winch handling systems for Towed Array Sonars, ATAS, ATDS, etc.
- Control Systems: Combat Management System, Integrated Platform Management System, Integrated Bridge System, Automated Power Management System etc.
- Electrical systems: Main (AC/DC) switchboards, distribution Boards, Starters, ACOS, Control Panels, Ship Degaussing Systems etc.
- Auxiliary systems: Helicopter Landing Gear, Replenishment at Sea (RSA) equipment, blast-proof hanger shutters, Boat Davits, special pressure-proof hatches and doors etc.
- Communication Systems: Special Modems, VHF / UHF Linking Equipment, secure quick communication Interface for interfacing with foreign Navies during joint exercises
Rear Admiral Atul Khanna, Additional Director General, and Head of Naval Quality Assurance, formally awarded the ‘Green Channel Status’ to L&T Defence team in the presence JD Patil, whole time Director (Defence & Smart Technologies) & Member of the Board.
Admiral Khanna said that the grant of Green Channel Certificate reposed their trust in L&T Defence and applauded its journey of 25 years of indigenising the platform specific systems for naval vessels. He encouraged L&T to continue enhancing quality standards and to elevate dialogue with naval quality assurance agencies, he was quoted in press release. Read it here
L&T has been associated with the armed forces for over the last three and a half decades, in providing cutting edge technology and high-quality systems. Team L&T will live up to this trust bestowed upon us, and our defence QA will endeavor towards delivering flawless systems in a timely manner, JD Patil said
The company with a $ 21 Billion collective turnover across sectors , operates in 30 countries. In Defence it has built in-house capabilities and capacities by offering indigenous defence solutions. It has developed competencies in conceptualization, design, analysis, engineering, embedded software, manufacturing, assembly, integration, testing and through life support to the armed forces over the life cycle of the equipment, systems and platforms.
Contact us email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org